Friday, May 13, 2011

The Obstacle of Being Black In America



If you've ever felt like the outcast then you know, just a little, what it's like to be black.  People say times have changed but they have not.  People are just better at hiding how they feel and keeping up good appearances.  I've worked hard to hone my skills and do the best job I can but I cannot overcome the obstacle of being black. Although I can figure out how to perform no matter what environment you put me in I cannot overcome being black.  I've been unemployed for so long and now I may be unemployed again.

I watched a video this morning about a white man yelling n***** in the subway in New York and attacking random black people.  He even got naked.


A guy in the bank line said being gay is almost as bad as being black.  What would you think?

I've worked so hard where I am.  I've put in the work and dedicated the time necessary to be the best at what I do.  I'm still not given any extra consideration.  I will be replaced by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and may or may not care about the actual industry in which they are coming into.

I'm not here for a check.  I'm here for respect.  I excel not for you but for me.  I work because I believe in hard work.  I've been a Union Carpenter working alongside men who can pick up twice what I can and I have held my own.  I've learned this industry, I've worked hard at it.

Put me in an office.  I type 70 words per minute.  I have all the skills necessary to run circles around most Admins.

I've taken up to 300 inbound calls a day in a call center.  When a customer calls I resolve the issue.  My motto is 'if I can I will' so you won't have to call again.

Can I keep a job?  No.  Why?  Because I'm black.

I don't get the benefit of the doubt.  I can't be late.  If I miss a day I may be fired.

This is not a pity party its a travesty of justice in America.  I remember watching a manager be late everyday to work.  I miss a couple of days or come in late too often, no matter, how good my excuse truly is and I better get my resume together because I must be taking advantage.

I have not missed one day at work where I am now.  I have never been late.  You tell me?  Should I still have a job?

**disclaimer**

I've edited some of my content and although the content above was originally published in 2011. The content  below was published on November 22, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment