Sunday, September 4, 2016

Second article 
published January 12, 2011


I remember a trying time in my relationship with my best friend that tested how close we really were.  We were in our junior year in high school and happened to be dating guys by the name of Sean.  We had fun with the idea that as best friends even our boyfriends' names seemed destined by fate.  But I came across a moment in time when reality set in and our relationship was put to the test.  A little birdy informed me that her Sean was not at all faithful.  I wrestled with the idea that "what she doesn't know won't hurt her" only because I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.  Our relationship was still new and we hadn't had any complications like this before.

I asked myself, "What would I want her to do if she were in my shoes"?  The decision was easy.  I didn't want to hurt her but if I was truly her best friend then my obligation and loyalty was to her and I had to tell her.  My mother always said, "Do onto others as you would have others do onto you".
When I told her I thought she would be thankful but hurt.  What happened was she stopped talking to me.  She was angry with me.  I understood.   In my heart I'd rather do the right thing and deal with it than keep it from her.

In the end we made up (about two weeks later).  I was afraid our relationship couldn't recover but what I learned was it made our bond stronger.  We became better friends in the end because she understood I cared about her and wouldn't just accept someone mistreating her.



No comments:

Post a Comment