Monday, September 12, 2016

4th article
published: 1/18/2011

"How I Met My Best Friend"

The beauty of friendship is you never know where you'll find it.  My best friend and I have been friends since the 10th grade.  I was somewhat of a band geek while she was more of a social butterfly.  We could not have been more opposite.  I remember seeing her around campus often because, for some strange reason, she managed to visit a few of my teachers throughout the school day.  I distinctly remember her visiting Mrs. Gibbs our Spanish teacher.  I had her for 5th period, right before Band Class while she had her for, I think, 2nd period.  They'd have great conversations while we waited for our lesson to resume.  We didn't mind the break, her class was a snoozer.  Our teacher would literally stop what she was doing to focus on her.  I didn't understand how a student could command such attention. I was impressed.

She was not only articulate but she was confident, charming, and knew exactly how to wrap everyone around her pretty manicured fingers.  I didn't know it at the time but I was about to meet my lifelong best friend.

We didn't hang in the same circles so I devised a plan to get to know her.  I noticed she was pretty fashionable and my wardrobe did need a lift.  I figured I could bribe her into coming along on a shopping trip with a chili burger and fries.  It worked.  I was right.  She was an expert shopper.


We rode the bus to the mall and I spent my $200 paycheck on a pair of black leather boots, green dress shorts, and a cute black turtleneck which she picked out.  That was my favorite outfit for a great while.  Since then we've been inseparable.  We have been there for each other through good times and bad.  She's helped me improve, not only my wardrobe but my life.  Our relationship has blossomed into one of the greatest relationships.  I never could have imagined how much we would grow together.  Our friendship has stood the test of 20 years and is still going strong.




No comments:

Post a Comment